Monday 20 August 2007

Nvu-sness

I heard a great quote today. Can't remember who it was, but they said "If you want to sound like a creep, just add the word ...ladies to the end of every sentence."
Anyway, today I've been having a bit of a tinker with several HTML editors to find one I liked. I've tried several, including Bluefish, Amaya, and Quanta Plus, none of which quite did it for me.
For a while now, I've had the excellent Nvu (pronounced n-view) HTML editor installed on my Vista laptop. As I hate Vista, I wanted to get a copy for my other laptop. Unfortunately, it's not in the Ubuntu repositories, so I couldn't just download it from there, so I went searching. To my delight, I eventually found a package for Debian Etch that also works in Ubuntu, so I downloaded and installed it, and I couldn't be happier with it.
I daresay that once I've completed my course and start doing this for a living I'll have to use Adobe Dreamweaver at work, but I love Nvu, and if anyone were to ask me for a recommendation as to what software to use to make their website, Nvu would be right at the top of the list. You can switch between modes easily by clicking on a tab, allowing you to add an object by entering HTML, then move it around easily.
Since I first became aware of the whole Free and Open-Source Software movement about a year ago, I've become very keen on it. I really can't stand to see people wasting money on expensive proprietary software when there are very often alternatives available that are just as good, if not better. MS Office is a particular annoyance of mine, especially considering that it's complete crap. I think that OpenOffice.org is perfectly suitable for most people and is completely free to download.
That's all for today ...ladies.

No comments: