Wednesday 15 August 2007

Giving Automatix the boot

I've got two weeks off work coming up, and nothing much lined up. Unfortunately, I'm not going to be able to make a start on my HTML course for a few weeks so I can't do any of that, but there's plenty I can do. I've got a couple of books on HTML that I can start going through, so I can give myself a head start. I've also got another few books on things like shell programming, Javascript, etc, so maybe I'll make an effort to get through some of these.

I'm especially keen to learn more about Linux. Since I started using Kubuntu permanently in April (starting with the release of Feisty Fawn), I've been using Automatix to install a lot of software, knowing that eventually I'd have to learn to do them properly. As you might have seen, there has been negative coverage of this, and my experience mirrors this. I have had my OS crash several times while booting, and have had to reinstall. In light of this I decided I wasn't going to use Automatix anymore, and would teach myself to install the software properly.
So far it's going OK. Most of the other things are available from the Ubuntu repositories. I've so far installed the Java Runtime Environment, the Java Development Kit, and codecs and plugins for audio and video so I can play MP3s and DVD's. I'm going to leave the rest for now.

One thing I definitely want to do is catch up on my reading. I want to finish Black Man, and make a start on Peter F Hamilton's The Dreaming Void. I'm a huge fan of Peter's work, and I'm really eager to get started on this.

No comments: