Monday 14 January 2008

Easierbuntu

I've just started a brand-new blog. Easierbuntu will run alongside Far Beyond the Edge of Reason, and will be exclusively a place where I provide useful tips for those just beginning to use Ubuntu-based Linux distros.

I felt there was a genuine need for such a thing, since when I first started I struggled with many things about using Kubuntu. Like many people, I resorted to using Automatix for things like audio codecs. For some people, Automatix works out fine, but for others it was a nightmare. I was very much in the latter camp - it rendered my system unbootable several times, and was more trouble than it's worth.

Now that Gutsy has been released, Ubuntu is pretty easy, but there's still some things that you have to know where to look to get them installed without Automatix. I now know where to look for these things, so I'd like to help other find them. Easierbuntu is a great way to do this.

If you're interested in trying an Ubuntu-based distro, or are struggling with it, then why not bookmark it, or better yet, subscribe to the feed? I've also included a couple of customised search engines for searching for help with Ubuntu or searching for software packages.

If anyone else would like to offer their own tips (as long as they aren't something like "Get a Mac!"), please feel free to contact me here. Whether you want to write something for me to post on here, or you'd like me to add you to the authors for the blog so you can post yourself, I'd love to hear from you. The more of us there are writing for it, the more tips we can add and the more people we can help!

Blogged with Flock

No comments: