Sunday 2 March 2008

Out goes Gentoo, in comes Slackware...

Got kind of stumped by Gentoo - it wouldn't boot into the Live CD mode in VirtualBox. That's a shame as I was really looking forward to trying it - maybe I'll give it a go on a real machine sometime. I was planning to do a fresh install when Hardy Heron comes out so I can try it then seeing as I'll have to do all the setting up again anyway.

So I've decided to try another technical distro instead: Slackware. This is a distro based on simplicity (not necessarily for the end user, more a case of it being a simple, bare-bones distro with very little hand-holding. Last time I tried it with Slackware 11.0 I didn't get very far, but now I have a simple guide to installing Slackware 12.0 as well as a DVD copy thanks to Linux Format magazine. We'll have to see how this goes...

No comments: